Social Media is the hottest topic after Global Warming people are taking about while some even think Social Media as virus which is spreading at higher rate as compared to STD. Well unfortunately it’s true.
“Social media is like teen sex.
Everyone wants to do it. Nobody knows how.
When it’s finally done there is surprise it’s not better.”
– Avinash Kaushik, Google
Officially, though, Social Media is not like Teen Sex*
Social media is “an umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, and the construction of words, pictures, videos, and audio.” Social Media is Frictionless conversation in a connected environment.It’s also a fancy way to describe the zillions of conversation people are having online 24/7.
Why Social Media ?
Well the question is difficult but the answer is that simple:
1. 3 out of 4 in America uses Social Technology.
2. 67% of Global Internet population visits Social Networks.
3. Visiting Social sites is the 4th most popular Online Activity ahead of Personal E-Mailing.
4. 125,000,000 Youtube videos viewed per day.
5. 14,000,000 numbers of articles available on Wikipedia.
6. 1400% is the monthly growth rate of Twitter users from Jan 09 to Feb 09.
7. 5,000,000,000 number of minutes spent on Facebook each day.
8. If Facebook were a country, It would be the 8th most populated in the world just ahead of Japan.
So, please stop muttering around and get serious about harnessing the power of Social Media. 85% of social media users believe that a company should go further than just having a presence on social sites and should also interact with it’s customers. Unfortunately, most companies are still treating Social Media like just another Marketing channel.
Social Media and Branding.
I would really like to take an example here how people creates your brand on these Social Networks without taking any interest in your product or service. Some of us might not have heard of Zappos- A shoe and clothes manufacturing company in Las Vegas, US. even I heard about this company from various social networking sites like Slideshare, Youtube, Blogs etc without visiting their website atleast once .
Surprisingly content on these sites was not to promote Zappos or their products but people included Zappos in their various case studies, presentations like I have done here Including Zappos in my post.It would be hard to digest that 3 out of 10 presentations on Slideshare featuring Social Media Marketing has this word ” Zappos”.
This is what Branding is !
So, ultimately the theme of the story is, you cannot make yourself popular among but it’s the people who makes you popular to make themselves popular.